Veterans' Preference: Veterans who successfully meet the minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position, will be granted the appropriate preference points which will be added to their total ranking score.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- 1) Are veterans of the armed forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), who served as an active member of the armed forces of the United States and were honorably discharged.
- 2) Are members of Delaware National Guard or a Reserve unit located within Delaware, with at least 20 years of membership.
- 3) Are a Spouse of any of the following:
- Any veteran or member who qualifies under section 1. or 2. of this section who has died, so long as the widow or widower has not remarried;
- Any member of the armed forces serving on active duty who, at the time of application for the priority, is listed in 1 or more of the following categories and has been so listed for a total of more than 90 days:
- Missing in action;
- Captured in line of duty by a hostile force; or
- Forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power; or
- Any veteran or member who qualifies under 1 or 2 of this section who has a disability resulting from a service connected disability.
- Veterans requiring additional Information regarding DD214's may contact the Commission of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-344-9900.
Preference shall be confined to original entrance to State Merit employment and shall not be applied to promotion within the classified service or to retention in case of reduction in force.
To claim preference you must meet one of these categories and submit the necessary forms listed below:
Veterans, Delaware Reservists (who served active duty), widows or widowers who have not remarried, and spouses of veterans with a disability, must submit a legible copy of Form DD214. If applicable, evidence of disability must also be submitted (a VA letter indicating disability).
Form 1300 must be submitted for spouses of any member of the armed forces serving on active duty who, at the time of application for the priority, is listed in one or more of the following categories and has been so listed for a total of more than 90 days: 1. Missing in action; 2. Captured in line of duty by a hostile force; or 3. Forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
Form NGB-22 must be submitted for Delaware National Guard members and widows or widowers who have not remarried, and spouses of Delaware National Guard members with a disability.
Form DD256 must be submitted by Delaware Reservists who did not serve active duty.
All forms must be dropped off at one of the OMB/HRM offices or faxed to (302) 739-2327 by 4:30 p.m. on the business day following the closing date on the posting.